I feel I’ve accomplished quite a bit of knitting in the past week. I started that cardigan for Charlotte, using a light blue bamboo yarn. There was only one size option for it, age 2-3, and it looks like it’ll be too large for her right now, so I’m putting it aside for now. I’ll finish it for her birthday, I think. The weight will be better for that time of year, too. The ruffle took quite a while, but I don’t think the rest of it will take nearly as long.
Since that one was going to be too large, I started a tunic sweater for her that I saw in the book Brave New Knits. It’s just a plain tunic, with a contrasting colour at the bottom that is folded up to make pockets, using different buttons for it. I’m not generally a fan of pink, but I saw a watermelon pink from Saucy Sport (another yarn that has been, unfortunately, discontinued) that looked really good when I put it next to Charlotte. I love the way this tunic is made. It’s knit in the round from the top down, so there are no seams. The increases after the sleeves are put on holders are really great, and I wish I’d seen them in more patterns. It calls for left and right lifted increases there, so you don’t end up with those pesky holes you get from making stitches, and it looks quite nice. I’ve not decided yet whether to use a beige at the bottom, or a green so it really looks watermelon-y. That partly depends on what buttons I find for it.